Job Interview One on Wednesday – new team doing interesting, worthwhile things. As a new team, I’d be there from the start, with a chance to shape things to how I think they should be done. Vibe of the people from the interview was fun (but businesslike), excited, vibrant. A good job. Not too stretching but decent(ish) salary.
Job Interview Two on Thursday – two established teams with set ways of doing things (they were interviewing for two posts at the same time), but again doing worthwhile work. As an established team, have to come in from the outside, take over supervision of people who have been doing the job for a while (have to ask yourself why they didn’t promote from within when they created the role?). Vibe of the people from the interview a bit more businesslike, slightly less youthful and fun, but still nice people. A good job. Will definitely stretch me, look good on a CV (I won’t have just been marking time), but the same (ever so slightly less) salary than Job One. Possibly room to negotiate this up a little bit though.
Now I was semi-confident after Interview One that they would offer me the job but Interview Two left me feeling that no one would ever employ me. Interview One said they’d let me know by the end of the week, Interview Two said in about a week’s time. As I was coming out of Interview Two I got a call from Interview One saying they’d like to offer me the job…
At the time it seemed like a good idea to say “yes”, especially the way I felt Interview Two had gone. My Da’ didn’t raise no pre-emptive chicken-counters – if I wasn’t going to hear about Two for a week, would it be a good idea to make One wait and potentially loose it?
Then Two ring me this morning and offer me THAT job as well.
Bollocks, bugger, shit, and other expletives.
I would have put money on Two not wanting me, but it turns out not only did they want me, they BOTH wanted me and so had a little fight over who would get me. As I said, the pay isn’t initially so good but after I said I’d have to think about it as I’d been offered another job yesterday, they started to backtrack and mentioned negotiating it up a little bit.
Poo! What do I do?! All logic says Two is the better job – more prospects, it would stretch me to develop my skills, and keep me fully occupied whilst I worked on the move into publishing. But at the same time, more stress means I’m more likely to bring the work home with me, and I want to be able to focus on my A-Level and writing as well. Job One would (probably) have slightly less of an impact on my life.
Add to that, I have technically already said ‘Yes’ to Job One. If I took Two, I’d have to go back to One and say ‘sorry’… and that would mean one department in the organization where my name would be mud.
Oh… Bugger… Life is easier as a temp – you don’t have to make these decisions. It’s nice that everyone seems to want me, but what should I do?! It’s not exactly like I can challenge them to an Ultimate Showdown, with the winner taking my admin skills…