Ah, there’s nothing quite like hanging a new calendar to make you reflect on the year past and the year to come, is there?
I didn’t do a “new year” post last year for some reason so I can’t look back reliably on 2007 to tell if it went as I had planned or predicted. I do know that, on the whole, it went really rather spankingly well. Technically my domestic situation (single, rented flat) is exactly the same as it was a year ago, as is my employment situation, and I still spend my leisure time in a similar way, but the little things have changed dramatically. 2007, I am confident saying, rocked.
This is the part of the movie where the villain swivels round in that big chair, stroking a fluffy Persian, reveals his cunning plan for total world domination and utters a trailer-worthy line like “no, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”.
Followed by twenty minutes filled with explosions and implausible martial arts scenes, before our villain dies in some gruesome (but still vaguely comedic) fashion, with just enough breath left in his body to lie in the ruins of his secret volcano layer and curse something along the lines of “I’d have made it if it wasn’t for those pesky kids…” before the camera pans to the dashing hero swooping the swooning heroine off into the sunset.
Perhaps I should rethink this analogy?…
So what’s my plan for 2008?
Well, even though reading about other people’s resolutions is rather boring, and I have a whole “don’t plan because it is going to go arse-over-tit” thing, I’m going to share mine this year. Because I am nice like that and I believe in tempting fate. So in no order what-so-ever:
- Continue the whole healthy lifestyle kick I’ve been on since September. I already feel oodles better (damn it all those I-told-you-so people will never shut up now) and am on the verge of having to buy new, smaller clothes (woot!) so it would be silly to stop now I guess. It’s just nice having muscle definition again. Plus the whole being able to go through a day without my back imploding in agony is rather pleasant
- A new look for Bright Meadow. Yeah, I know, I’ve been saying this for so long now you’re getting bored, but it *will* happen!
- Move to London. This will (baring the unforeseen) happen. If I’m not celebrating my birthday in London this year (or at least a city that boasts a reputable publishing house and isn’t Southampton), I will want a BLOODY good reason why not
- Jump out of a plane. (Relax, attached to a parachute!)
- Get a job in publishing. Again, this is a “barring acts of divine intervention” deal. At least if I haven’t landed the job by December 31st 2008, I want to be well on my way to getting it. Or have spent the past six months lying on a beach in Maui writing a best-selling novel after winning the lottery as reason why not
- Get more of my damn writing done! I’d like to say that I’ll have a finished draft by the end of 2008, but I’m not that optimistic. I just want to have had fun writing it
- Go on more dates. Frankly, I need to get a life. Rapidly. Before I hit 26 and end up a bitter, twisted, crazy cat lady
And that’s it. That’s my 2008 mapped out right there. Is any of it going to come true? Fingers crossed. Am I going to be upset if it doesn’t all come off according to plan? Not overly. Just so long as I have fun along the way 🙂
What have you got planned for this forthcoming year? Do share.