Honestly, tag a guy once and you can never get rid of them! Still, this time I will forgive him because just when I had run out of inspiration on what to write (that slug-post is still blocking all normal creativity), Josh comes along and tags me. Then I got mentioned by Jay and I knew I really couldn’t ignore it.
1. Why do you blog?
The first question and I’m going to wimp out. I’ve already answered it elsewhere in some depth.
Briefly however, I blog to:
1) Make sense of my world/my thoughts.
2) Connect to people and get into conversations.
3) Have fun.
4) Improve my writing.
2. Which author and/or book has most influenced you?
Again, a question I can refer to a previous post – I’m liking this!
I’ve read a LOT in my life and it would be hard, if not impossible, to say “this one author has most influenced me”. At different times different books have had the most impact on my life. For the reasons behind the four I picked last time (The Bible, The Darkness Visible by William Styron, The Skull Mantra by Eliot Patterson and Yes Man by Danny Wallace) read this post.
Other authors/bloggers/writers/academics whose work I adore and frequently come back to include Neal Stephenson, danah boyd, Jane Austen, William Gibson, Robin Hobb and.. Oh, countless others for many different reasons.
3. Which three blogs do you most visit?
Evil question! Are you trying to make me play favourites here? I read so much (and read it through RSS to boot) that this is, as already implied, a hard one. But here goes…
- 9rules and all it’s attendant blogs form the core of my daily browsing, especially when I am at work. I don’t have a list of my bookmarks on the work computer, so 9rules is a great way of finding something to read when I am at a loose end.
- BBC News again is central to my day-time reading. Whilst not technically a blog it does supply a lot of material for my blog. That and it’s always a good idea to know what is going on in the world so you can have conversations without looking TOTALLY dumb.
- Flickr. The wonderful, wonderful photo-sharing site provides hours of amusement, blogging inspiration, and eye-candy.
Phew! Answered the question without picking any personal blogs. Result.
4. Why do you read fiction?
Because it takes me to different worlds and times and lets me experience things I would never have the opportunity to otherwise. Because it can help you see the truth behind situations and dares to talk about the taboo.
5. What makes you laugh?
Lots of things. Most things. I am easily amused by most of the world to be truthful – it is just all so absurd. I find life inherently amusing, which has got me into a few misunderstandings along the way, but it I find it a much better way of living my life.
Terry Pratchet makes me laugh, so does Monty Python. Billy Connolly usually has me crying in laughter and Eddie Izzard makes me laugh so hard I can’t breathe.
6. I tag…
Well, last time I tagged people, people got grumpy, so I’m not going to tag anyone. If you want to, feel free to continue with the meme. Pass on the love 🙂